Monday, July 28, 2008

Baked Crab Wontons


My favorite appetizers at Chinese restaurants are Crab Wontons. The problem is they are made with cream cheese and then deep fried. So here is my healthier version. They turned out crispy even though I baked them and they even freeze well.


Family Review:
Me: Good with sweet and sour sauce.
Husband: He missed dinner that night.
5-year-old: I like the crust. (She only ate the edges no filling)
1-year-old: We are waiting to introduce "krab" to her diet, we will just keep her on floor crumbs for now.

Baked Crab Wontons


1 Pkg. Square Wonton Wrappers
8 oz. Reduced Fat Cream Cheese
8 oz. Crab Meat (or should I say "Krab" meat)
1/2 of a Red onion, chopped ( a traditional recipe would use green but I like red they are sweeter)
Non-stick cooking spray




Preheat oven to 425.
Start by sauteing the chopped onion in a little bit of cooking spray just to soften it a little. Take the crab meat and chop it or shred it with a fork so it is in small pieces.
In a bowl mix the cream cheese and crab together with the onion. The cream cheese is easier to stir if it has been out of the fridge for a little bit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, set out your wonton wrappers and then put a teaspoon of the crab filling in each wrapper.
Wet the edges of each wrapper by dipping your finger tips in water then fold in half to seal. (In a triangular shape.)

Bake for 6-8 minutes turning over half way through.
They can burn really quickly so keep a close eye.


Yields:
48 Wontons

Nutrition Info.
1 Wonton
35 Calories
1 g. Fat
less than 1 g. of Fiber
1 g. Protein

I froze half of the batch. I just put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer for about 20 minutes to flash freeze then transferred them to a Ziploc bag. I let them sit on the counter for about 15 minutes then baked them like normal. They tasted the same.

2 comments:

Vennesa said...

When exactly are you inviting me over for dinner? Those look so good! Do you dip them?

Vennesa said...

Ok, so I made them tonight. I'm eating them cold now as a late night snack. Thanks!