Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry


This isn't a recipe exactly as much as it is an idea for using whatever vegetables you have on hand. Also, I don't even know if this is a stir fry honestly. Wikipedia says stir fry is a "fast Chinese cooking technique using a wok and some oil". I didn't use a wok,( I got a lovely wok for Christmas once, thanks Michelle, but it was downstairs and I was hungry and in a hurry) I didn't use oil, just non-stick spray, and also, I have no Chinese technique. I have no technique period. But I had vegetables, I had frozen shrimp and I had Mr. Yoshida. So I made this meal fast.
Mmmmm Mr. Yoshida's Gourmet Cooking Sauce can pretty much make anything you have in your fridge taste good, Beef, Chicken, Fish, Veggies, Ice cream, okay just kidding on the ice cream, but it is really good on just about anything. Now the thing with Mr. Yoshida is that he is salty (like 20% of your daily sodium intake salty) and also he contains High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) which a lot of people are are avoiding these days for health concerns.
(HFCS is in almost every sweet thing you buy at the grocery store so it is hard to avoid and right now as I type this my 5-year-old is sitting in the kitchen on the floor hiding and eating Chocolate Lucky Charms which is probably loaded with the stuff. What mom buys their kid Chocolate Lucky Charms you ask? I did, but it wasn't for my kid, it was for my husband who is like a kid sometimes, and it was his Birthday breakfast and I think every 28th birthday should start with a whole lot of sugar to make you feel young and forget how old you are getting. And besides he pretty much couldn't care less about his sugar intake since he eats peanut M&Ms by the pound.)
So my rule of thumb is just don't go crazy with this stuff, you might want to drink the whole bottle but hold back and just use a little.
Okay back to the stir fry.

Shrimp and Veggie Stir Fry


Ingredients:
Vegetables about 5 or 6 Cups cut up. Any kind you like, I used broccoli, zucchini, red onion, mushrooms and carrots. (Notice the carrots, all I had were baby carrots so I painstakingly chopped each little baby carrot and almost chopped off my finger at least twice.)
1/4 Cup Mr. Yoshidas Gourmet Cooking Sauce
12 oz. Frozen Cooked Shrimp (I had these left over from some occasion so I just thawed them and took the tails off.)
Cooking Spray
Noodles or Rice

I started by getting my pan really hot. Then I sprayed my cooking spray, just enough to coat the pan. I added the onions first to get them softened for a couple minutes, then the carrots because they take longer to cook. Then broccoli, then zucchini and last mushrooms. Then I poured on the sauce. When all your veggies are just about done, throw in the shrimp just to warm it up (it is already cooked so we don't have to worry about it being raw). That's it you are done.
Serve it over brown rice, or we used whole wheat angel hair pasta.


Family Reviews:
Me: Quick, easy, tasty and the leftovers were good too.
Husband: He missed dinner that night so he also missed these yummy things.
5-Year-Old: "Is this gumbo? I like the shrimp." (Gumbo? Who is this kid? I have never made or even tasted Gumbo.) She ate the shrimp and broccoli, she didn't like the whole wheat pasta though, I think I overcooked it.
1-year-old: Ah! Ah! Ah! That is the sound she makes when I don't feed her fast enough. She ate the noodles and liked veggies, no shrimp for her though.

Yields: 4 Servings

Nutrition Info: (these are the figures for just the stir fry, not the noodles.)
170 Calories
1 g. Fat
2 g. Fiber
17 g. Protein

No comments: