Monday, July 28, 2008

Low Fat Tzatziki: You know that white stuff at Greek restaurants.


Whenever I have Greek food I always dip everything (meat, bread, etc. ) in that white sauce they serve with your meal. I never knew what it was called so when I was craving it I had to Google it: "white greek dip with cucumbers".
Tzatziki! Ta Da!
I love Google.

I found a great recipe on About.com http://greekfood.about.com/od/appetizerssalads/r/tzatziki_sass.htm%20.I made a couple changes and used regular low fat plain yogurt because I couldn't find Greek Yogurt at the grocery store and it turned out pretty good.

If you use regular low fat plain yogurt you will need to go to this link to learn how to strain it. http://greekfood.about.com/od/greekcookingtips/ht/strainyogurt.htm

Low Fat Tzatziki

16 oz. (2 cups) strained low fat plain yogurt
(I started with 32oz. but after straining it turns out to be 16oz)
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped ( I buy the pre-chopped kind in a jar, easy and keeps a long time)
1/2 Cup peeled and grated cucumber, drained of moisture.
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. dried dill weed

Combine Yogurt, and lemon juice mix thoroughly. Add cucumber, garlic and dill. Stir until it is mixed together.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let the flavors blend.
Can be stored for several days, just pour off any liquid that accumulates on top.

Servings:
5 1/2 cup servings

Nutrition Info:
68 Calories
1 g. Fat
0.5 g. Fiber
5 g. Protein

Family Reviews:
Me: Good, almost as good as full fat version.
Husband: "I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars."
5 Year old: "I am not eating that." (She is not a "dipper" she refuses to use any kind of dip even ketchup.)
1 Year old: "I will eat anything that can be smeared in my hair and on my highchair."

Serve With:
Whole Wheat Pita Bread, Greek Chicken Kabobs,

No comments: